COVID-19 Resources and Brief Service Response Center
The economic effects of business closures are taking a harsh toll on the performing arts community. Lawyers for the Creative Arts is committed to helping the Illinois art community understand the legal issues arising from performance cancellations.
We've created our Brief Service Response Center to provide general advice by telephone on issues relating to cancellations. The Response Center is open for individual artists and managers of arts organizations affected by the Coronavirus crisis. The application form is short, and we will attempt to respond to you in a timely manner. We ask that you please be patient as we work through the requests.
For those needing representation by an attorney for any arts-related matter, please continue to use our normal Legal Referral Service, which remains fully operational. Additionally, LCA's Patricia Felch Arts Mediation Services are ready and able to provide neutral mediators to assist with all kinds of arts disputes.
If you live outside of Illinois, you may want to contact the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts organization in your state. A list of these organizations can be found here.
This list gives those in the arts community access to sites and services that may be of assistance in navigating the challenges created by the Coronavirus pandemic. Please refer back to it periodically for new or supplemented entries.
Resources You May Need Now
Resources for Reopening Arts Organizations
- Information and guidance for businesses during Phase 5 of the Restore Illinois plan.
- Information and guidance for businesses during Phase 4 of the Be Safe Chicago plan.
Curtains Up! Legal Issues for Re-Opening Venues
Discussions of Available Resources
Unemployment Relief and Related Benefits
Rent and Mortgage Assistance
- Information on estate planning in a pandemic - specific coverage of the two statutory powers of attorney.
Assistance with State Unemployment Benefits
(Please be patient in case of high call volume)
- Call (312) 738-9200
- Call (312) 341-1070
Federal and State Financial Relief Programs
- SBA PPP FAQ
- PPP Toolbox - Fiscal Management Associates (FMA)
- PPP Loan Forgiveness Instructions
Additional Resources and Assistance
- Fund created by small to mid-sized national arts grantmakers
- $5,000 grants available to artists facing dire financial emergencies due to COVID-19
- Fund created by Chicago-area artists intended to support area artists facing financial hardship due to Coronavirus related cancellations
- Donate to the fund
- Applications for assistance - temporarily suspended - reach out to email@example.com with questions
- Apply for Unemployment Insurance
- Disaster Assistance Loans for Small Businesses Impacted by Coronavirus
- Eligibility Requirements
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) Declarations
- News and Resources for Artists and Arts Organizations
Public Health Resources
- Specific updates on nature, extent, risks, and treatment of Coronavirus
- Establishing Infectious Disease Outbreak Response Plan
- State of Illinois Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- Tracking of current Illinois cases of the Coronavirus
- FAQs and preventative advice.
- Specific guidance for Event Organizers, Community-based Organizations, Businesses and Employers, and others.